Monday, August 11, 2008

Week 6 - Tagging and Technorati

This was a most interesting lesson!
As I'm going through this lesson, I'm thinking of ways to incorporate this into instruction while at the same time I'm feeling like I'm way behind. At the end of last year, I tried to teach the 7th graders about how to use 'Ask the Librarian' feature that we have. Many found no use for it. I have already changed how I order books to not be the 'anticipate collection' but to lean heavily on books for pleasure and AR books to encourage an interest in reading for pleasure. For reference I now subscribe to databases.

Our goal as educators is to let our students know that they need to be life-long learners. This course has certainly reminded me of that fact. We need to teach them that how we obtain information will always be changing and they have to know how/where to obtain the information they need and then how to evaluate the source.

The future of libraries will always be around. .. as long as we provide a welcoming environment and reach out to the needs of our patrons.

SJLibrary2.0.

No comments: